Posted on Jul 5, 2017 2:45pm EDT
Ever notice anything weird about your shower? Any unusual stains near the shower wall? Though it’s not immediately present, you may have a leak in your shower tile. Tile leaks occur when water seeps through grout, caulk and gets behind the wall. This can lead to tile falling off the wall, wall frame rotting, and damage to subfloor, joists, or the ceiling below.
Signs of Trouble:
- Loose tiles
- Persistent mold
- Stains on ceiling under the shower
- Peeling paint against the exterior wall
- Examine caulk and grout for gaps. Mold is almost always found there
- Open the access panel behind the faucet and search for dampness or stains
- Remove loose tiles, old grout, and caulk
- Reattach tiles, regrout and recaulk
- If the wall is spongy, a new backer board or a fiberglass surround needs to be installed
If the shower leak persists, give the professionals at All Good Plumbers a call for a resolution.